raised hands

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) 

How much does the test cost?

Our tests are free for permanent residents, Canadian citizens, and Convention refugees. At this time, we are not able to test any temporary residents.


How can I prepare for the test?

To prepare, you can try the Online Self-Assessment (CLB-OSA) and watch this recorded presentation*. More resources are available on our Language Assessment page.

*Please watch the presentation on a computer OR download the Prezi Viewer app to watch on a mobile device.

Can I re-take the test?

Yes, you can re-take the test after one year. On a case-by-case basis, we may be able to make an exception after six months. Please call 780-424-3545 or fill out this form to schedule another test.


How far in advance should I book my test?

If you have a firm deadline as to when you need your test results, call us right away to see what our upcoming schedule is like. Testing availability and booking times may vary.

Do I have to live in Edmonton to take the test?

We are the designated assessment centre for Edmonton and surrounding communities. If you live in Southern Alberta, or in another province, please contact your local assessment centre.


When will I receive my results?

You will receive your results immediately after the test.


I lost my test results. Can I get a duplicate copy?

Please call us at 780-424-3545 to request a copy of your test results.


What do I need to bring on the day of the test?

Please bring a piece of photo ID and your immigration document(s). This could include your PR card; Canadian passport; or Notice of Decision with a passport from your country. Please call us at 780-424-3545 if you have questions about what documents are accepted.


smiling woman with hand raised